NDSS Symposium 2023 Student Support
Student support is available to assist full-time students participating in the NDSS Symposium 2023.
The Symposium, which takes place from 27 February – 3 March 2023, is a hybrid event and includes in-person and virtual participation options for the symposium and co-located workshops. Support for students is available for both those attending in-person in San Diego, California, and virtually. Funds will cover registration fees for the event and may also cover some travel expenses to the in-person event. Travel support will be approved on a case-by-case basis.
The deadline to apply for student support is 5:00 pm PST (UTC-8) on Friday, 6 January 2023.
Please submit the following documents.
- A completed online student support application.
- Proof of student status: a letter from your department stating that you are a student, OR a copy of your current transcript.
- A brief CV or resume.
- A personal statement including why you believe you would benefit from attending the NDSS Symposium either in-person or virtually, a brief statement of research interests, and areas reflected in the NDSS Symposium program that would impact your research. Please limit this to 1-2 paragraphs.
NOTE: All documents must be uploaded in a SINGLE PDF or Zip File. If you do not upload a SINGLE file by mistake, please email [email protected], as you will not be able to re-upload.
Please see our FAQ for a list of frequently asked questions about the NDSS Symposium student support.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many students will be supported?
The actual number of students who will be supported and the level of support offered is determined by the amount of sponsorship money received, as well as the amount of other available resources. This will be determined around the time of the award announcements.
Who is eligible to submit an application for student support?
Any graduate or undergraduate student enrolled in a computer security related program at a college or university anywhere in the world.
What does the student support cover?
Student support covers the NDSS Symposium and Workshop Registration fees for 2023. For people attending the conference in-person, some travel expenses may be covered as well on a reimbursement basis. This will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
What does the student support NOT cover?
Any expenses that are above the total approved support amount or are for items not included in the list of covered expenses. A list of covered expenses (e.g. airfare and hotel) will be provided with the documentation accompanying the support award.
Will the NDSS Symposium refund the cost of my flight tickets if I registered to attend in-person but am subsequently unable to travel?
No. Please note that if you make any non-refundable purchases of e.g. flight tickets, we will NOT be able to reimburse you. As a consequence, please do not buy non-refundable plane tickets unless you are sure you will be able to attend or you have purchased travel insurance that covers trip cancellations.
How will the student support awards be determined?
All awards will be determined by a selection committee established by members of the NDSS Symposium Steering Group.
Considerations for recipients of student support funds will include:
- Evidence of serious interest and aptitude in the security field, as demonstrated by coursework and/or project experience.
- Evidence of community leadership interests and skills, as demonstrated by engagement with the broader community.
- Evidence of collaboration and teamwork activities, especially as applied to problems in the security field.
- Identified benefit from attendance and participation, particularly how participating in the symposium could shape the student’s future studies and/or research.
- Demonstrated potential as an emerging security researcher who could contribute to the publish content at future NDSS symposia.
- Considerations for students from underrepresented communities and first-time attendees.
- Proof of enrollment in a security-related program at a college/university.
Are student authors eligible to apply and if so, is that an additional consideration during selection?
Student authors are eligible to apply for support with the understanding that the selection committee will consider this as “demonstrated potential as an emerging security researcher”.
What is the timing for the application deadline and announcement of the student support recipients?
Awardees will be notified as soon as the evaluations are completed.
If you have already registered and paid and you subsequently are selected to receive student support, you will receive a refund.
Please proceed with your planning independent of the support as the final decisions on student support may be delayed pending various circumstances.